Thursday 17 January 2013

Burt's Bees Lip Balms

It's not easy to keep lips soft and healthy when it's freezing outside. I'm one of those people who really can't stand dry and chapped lips. It drives me crazy and makes me bite my lips which is even worse. This is why I have to have lip balm with me at all times and I'm always on the lookout for something new to keep my lips smooth.


I bought my first Burt's Bees lip balm (in the little tin) more than a year ago but I don't use it that much anymore. I like the peppermint flavour and the tingling sensation, but as it fades it becomes a bit yucky-tasting. Also, a tin isn't ideal for when you're wearing gloves. About two months ago I decided to try the tube versions and today I want to share my thought on them with you. I picked up four different ones: the Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil, Honey Lip Balm, Rejuvenating Lip Balm with Açaí Berry and the Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter. While all these balms have a similar composition, they do feel differently on the lips and do different things.

Let me start with the one I liked the least. You know I have very dry lips, so I need something that isn't going to fade away after five minutes. That's exactly what the balm with mango butter does for me. I love the flavour (fruity but not too sweet) and I love the texture (very light) but for me, it just doesn't work. It sinks in very quickly and I'm left with dry lips again. Definitely not enough for the colder months, but I'm going to give it another try in the summer.

The honey lip balm is definitely the thickest but will also protect your lips from the cold better than the other ones. Beeswax is the main ingredient here, which creates a protective layer on your lips. It also contains lanolin to prevent moisture loss and (as the name would suggest) honey. Honey is known for its healing properties, which of course is a big bonus when your lips are chapped and need some help. The only downside to this balm is the flavour. While I love honey, I really don't like the one they used in this balm. I got used to it after a while, but I didn't like it at all the first time I used it.

The third one I want to talk about, is the one with pomegranate oil. Pomegranate is known to be filled with antioxidants, which is always a good thing in my book. It has a very light, fruity flavour which resembles pomegranate and does a really good job at moisturizing the lips. All the men out there, beware, it is slightly tinted! Nothing like a lipstick and I wouldn't even call it a real tinted lip balm, but it does have some colour. However, it is very natural and just a little bit richer than my natural lip colour, so I can get away with putting loads on before anyone could ever notice the difference. Personally, I really like it because it makes my lips look healthier. I always have one of these with me.

The last one is definitely my favourite: the Rejuvenating Lip Balm with Açaí Berry. When I was reading the description on Burt's Bees website, it said it was a "super balm" and I can completely understand why. Açaí Berries are full of antioxidants and vitamins (A, C, D and E) which, as I said, is always more than welcome! I find this balm very moisturizing and protecting, not very thick and yet it doesn't fade away after five minutes. It has a pleasant sweet, fruity flavour but it's not offensive at all. I'm not a big fan of flavoured balms, but I have no problem with this one whatsoever. Also, the Burt's Bees balms are all made from natural ingredients so the flavours aren't something synthetic or potentially dangerous. I'm almost out of this one, so I'll have to get a new one as soon as the tube is empty.

Overall I'm really pleased with all four balms, but I have my favourites. The tube is really handy to carry around and I enjoy using the balms a lot. Going to put some more on once I'm done writing this review because I need to take my dog for a walk asap! ;) So, what are your favourite balms to survive the winter with smooth lips? Definitely let me know in the comments! -L.

No comments:

Post a Comment